Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mixing up Religion, Sex & Art in Beirut

I discovered a post written by Isabelle Mayault  for  Mashallah News  about artist Chaza Charafaddine.

I think I am in love!

The female artist says “I was educated by nuns and lived in Europe. This is probably why, for me, it’s natural to mix everything.” words that really struck a chord in me.

Not that I was raised by nuns or even had a strict Catholic upbringing, (well, baka did always try to scare me with those demons pictured in the stained glass windows at the Kolster Kapelle  in Benedikbeuren ), but certainly the exposure to and then the repulsion of Catholicism ends up having a twisted effect on most, your truly  included.

Back to Miss Chaza, who lives in Beirut, this particular body of art, which was shown in Dubai recently, mixes La Divina Comedia , Persian miniatures and portraits of beauty particular to transsexuals/1940's movie stars.

The mix of historical icons, the mosaic and riot of color and myth stirs me.

How does the effect of artists mixing religious and sexual, historical fact and fiction/mythology move you to view the world differently?

No comments:

Post a Comment